25 May One More Time
Went to the follow-up appointment with the GI doc this afternoon. Since the nausea meds I’ve tried haven’t been effective, and there are still other various symptoms taking place (down 59 pounds now), we are doing another colonoscopy to see how the ileitis is doing (is it better, same, or worse than January?) and take additional bioposies.
The purpose of the follow-up colonoscopy is to either rule out or confirm Crohn’s. The next step in medications for the nausea would be stronger Crohn’s meds, which we obviously wouldn’t want to do unless Crohn’s is the diagnosis.
We are still waiting for last week’s Crohn’s/Irritable Bowel Disease blood test results to come back. That should be back by end of next week. Again, there is no “one” test to diagnose Crohn’s with. It’s a mix of puzzle pieces. The colonoscopy biopsies and the blood test results are two large pieces of the puzzle at this point that the doc expects to either rule out or confirm Crohn’s.
If it’s not Crohn’s, then the next step of treatment for the nausea medically is a med not available in the states. And, depending on the status of the ileitis, I go back to the Asacol he removed 2 weeks ago in anticipation of this follow-up colonoscopy.
Stunningly, they were able to schedule the colonoscopy for Thursday! THIS Thursday, early afternoon! So I start the wonderful prep process tomorrow afternoon.
I’ll let you know as soon as I am able what the findings are. Actual biopsy results won’t be back until next week, but Thursday we’ll at least know the doc’s visual findings.